Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Buffalo 50


After a long fun winter of ski mountaineering and ice climbing the time arrived to to lace up the Hokas and run some trails. Weather was iffy all week and Friday's snow flurries made me happy with my choice to run the Antelope Island 50 Mile Buffalo run instead of the 100 mile run.  The hardcore 100 milers braved a long cold night.  As I arrived at the starting line at 5:40 am  Speedgoat Karl had already completed the 100 miler, setting a new course record at around 14:30 hrs. Smoking fast, so quick that his first 50 mile lap/split, in 6:30, would have nearly won the 50 mile event.  Wow.

Temps were cold at the start line, but even colder due to my lack of gloves.  It was not that I was an idiot and forgot gloves, it was that I'm an idiot and dropped them in the porta jon. (Don't worry I fished them out!)  My legs and mind felt strong the first ten miles as the sun came up, despite tripping on my face twice. (Not my most coordinated morning thus far)  The field of around 120 runners spread out and I hung with a group of Davis County runners that were fun to get to know, Ryan and Derek are fast motivating guys.  I planned on keeping their 8 hr pace but couldn't hang.  Got to see some large Bison out on the slopes and on the trail, super cool.  By the time I got to the aid station at 19 miles I was starting to drag.  I lost almost 4 minutes trying to find my dumb drop bag, to stash my headlamp, and then got stuck in the starting hoard of 25K runners. aaagghh.  Once I got down on the beach I got into a groove and starting ticking off 9 minute miles.  As I neared the ranch I was struggling.   A woman had been gaining on me for miles and I was trying to stave off the charge. She passed me at the Ranch at Mile 32.5 and ended up taking 2nd for the ladies.  
Pete and me getting some grub at mile 39 ish


It was so cool running into the Ranch aid station, Anna saw me and ran straight to me screaming.  I grabbed some piping hot noodles and poured some Gatorade on em to cool em down. Then my buddy Pete and I set off.  My legs hurt so dang bad. I had energy but not the legs.  I guess just not enough long back to back training runs. I walked/jogged until I could open up again and maintain a steady run.  Pete made the torture so much more enjoyable.  I slowly picked up the pace and passed a couple of people then skipped the last aid station.  Finished in 8:20 hrs, 10 minutes faster than my last Buffalo 50. Yay. Yummy Buffalo Stew, Hug from Izzy, then quick drive to SLC for 2 NCAA Tourney Games.  Great Day.  Great Event. Thanks Dad for driving me around all day!     




Final push at Mile 49

3 comments:

  1. nice dude. you are up 50 miles on me already for wasatch training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance you would let me follow your blog? I don't see any way to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure but I don't know how yet, i will add it later

      Delete