Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sub Three Timp




 The last time I was on Mount Timpanogos I gave Izzy a ring on the summit. The time before that was a night time solo speed ascent of 2:17 from car to the summit in 2009. Both memorable trips. After sticking mostly to trail for the past couple of years I figured it more than about time to give a time trial another go. Last Friday I dropped off the kiddo at daycare and drove down to AF canyon on my day off work. Everything about the run went perfect, starting out with a no charge canyon entry fee, due to my NP annual pass. I had to park down low due to the Timpanokee TH getting a face lift. I started up the trail with my Hokas, arm sleeves, Nathan water bottle and waist pack, 3 Roctanes, and shades. My start time was 9:30 and my goal was summit by 11:30. I felt fast all the way up. I ran 50% more of the steeper stuff than in the past. The chilly air and colorful fall leaves made for a supreme run. I hit the Basin at about 10:37, gained the Saddle at about 11 and then topped out at the white hut at 11:17. 1 hour and 47 minutes. Sweet. I stopped the watch for 10 minutes and chatted it up with some folks, snapped some pics, and then started down. My plan was to just take it easy on the way down. As I got moving I felt really good and decided to push it. I love taking the steep technical sections really fast. Kind of like stairs that are funny shaped and move… I could not believe what a difference the Hokas made on the decent. I could fly down the talus so flipping fast with little impact on the feet and knees. They were a joy on the way up and a privilege on the way down. Worth every cent doubled. On the flatter stuff I was doing about 7 to 8 minute miles. Not to many hikers on the mountain that time of day, which is nice, and they all stepped out of my way. With a few miles to go I realized I might be able to do the descent in under an hour. I picked it up to as fast as my legs would carry me and finished in 2:48 round trip. 61 minutes for the decent. 1:47 car 2 summit
2:48 c2c
s 4389 ft gain
Splits: 12:55, 13:12, 12:44, 15:31, 16:40, 14:57, 19:16, 13:00, 9:43, 7:46, 7:55, 7:51, 8:43, 6:59.

2 comments:

  1. whoa! you even stopped to do the splits several times!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just kidding, that is super awesome, really!

    ReplyDelete