Sunday, October 14, 2012

Autumnal Tetons Loop 34 Miles


Near the Bottom of Death Canyon 
After much fretting over weather reports and talking with buddies, I decided to head up to the Tetons solo.  The weather forecast was 40% chance of rain and snow.  My plan: run all the way around the Tetons.  After a brief stop at Lava Hot Springs and huge steak in Jackson I rolled into my favorite spot to crash at the Lupine Meadow Trail Head.  Then I enjoyed the cold night with billions of stars, a few rain sprinkles, and an elk bugling.  At 7:50 a.m. I was off towards Jenny Lake. My plan was to just complete the 34 miles/8000 ft of vert in one not frost bitten piece.  All of the trail except the last 1.7 miles was virgin trail to me.  I carried more food and warm clothes than I normally take on long runs. Heck I even threw in a compass (and used it.)  The run up past Jenny Lake and Inspiration Point was gorgeous and sunny. I was taking so many pics that some hikers past me. So I quit playing patty-cake and picked up the pace up Cascade Canyon.  The wispy clouds danced all around the high cliffs above, both beautiful and intimidating.  I cruised the long flat sections and said good morning to big bull moose.  After a fork, the climbing started getting steep.  I was not making good time but didn't care. I figured when I got to Hurricane Pass I would decide to turn back or press on.  As I crested the pass I chatted it up with some folks that came up the Idaho side and then pressed on into the clouds. I felt a little disappointed that I could not see the massive Owen, Grand, and Middle Tetons above me but the incredible alpine terrain all around made up for it.  Many times I have looked down from the Grand or from Table Mtn and thought how fun it would be to explore these areas.  The wind and snow flurries picked up during my decent into the Alaska basin.  I kept a steady walk/run going on the amazing single track,  as I again gained altitude past more alpine lakes.  I did not linger for long on the Buck Mtn pass and could not see much due to the thick fog.  The relentless climbing finally ended at the Static Divide, 10,800 ft, and the weather began to clear.  I ate more food, finished off the Gatorade and started to fly down Death Canyon.  This is where the Hoka shoes really shine. Late in a run, pounding downhill.  Luckily Spence dog texted me the night before and reminded me that after the decent down Death Canyon you still have 10 more flippin miles.  So, I was mentally prepared for the slog, but man was it a slog. The climbs up to Taggart Lake and Bradley Lake really slowed me down. The amazing trail among all amazing trails finishes down the start of the traditional Garnett Canyon Grand approach.  I jogged into the parking lot at 5:15 for a total trek time of 9:25  Drank some Dr. Pepper and headed home. I will definitively be back.
A little pre-run Lava time

Sunrise over Jenny Lake



I think Teewanot or just to the right of it



Cascade Canyon 







Bottom of Death Canyon


Taggart Lake


               

1 comment:

  1. Cool Steve, I've always wanted to explore that area as well.

    ReplyDelete